Indiana - FSSA
- Eligibility Modernization
Indiana -FSSA - Eligibility Sys Planning
Indiana -FSSA - Medicaid Mgmt Info Sys
Indiana -INDOT - Quality Assurance
-Dept of Insurance -
Health Benefit Exchange
Client Eligibility System
Indiana FSSA’s Client Eligibility Modernization Project is
one of the largest (budget $1.4 billion) and most complex human
and health services projects in the country. The enhanced
business model and automated system implemented by the project
provides various tools to strengthen families through services
that focus on prevention, early intervention, self-sufficiency,
family support and preservation. It helps FSSA efficiently
administer various public assistance programs such as SNAP,
Medicaid, TANF (cash assistance), child care assistance,
employment and training services for low-income clients as well
as Medicaid eligibility throughout the State of Indiana.
eSense staff is providing verification and validation services with
the primary objectives of verification and enhancement of
project management disciplines, vendor and program oversight
inclusive of validation of deliverables and other project
results, quality assurance and advice to the State and other
project sponsors, and knowledge transfer assistance to the State
Project Management Office (PMO).
Key tasks performed by
eSense on the project include:
• Prepare and provide
Quarterly Project Status Reports that focus on verification and
validation analysis of performance of all vendors working on the
• Manage formal communications, operational reports
and deliverable submissions from stakeholders, vendors to the
State; ensure incoming correspondence is processed in a timely
manner. Processing includes creation of tracking records as
applicable, distribution of information or documentation to
involved individuals, sorting and storage of communications in
descriptive folders and documentation in the Project document
• Provide support and assistance to help identify
issues and risks, and, participate in PMO's issues and risk
management process as directed by the State.
• Provide Change
Control Management support to the State. Conduct research and
analysis and report on submitted change requests. Participate in
change control review. Provide support and assistance for change
control monitoring and tracking. Provide support for monitoring
status and implementing changes.
• Provide support in the
on-going development and maintenance of the SharePoint document
repository. Post documentation to associated SharePoint folders.
Retrieve and respond to documentation requests from State or
legal entities. Participate in SharePoint functional assessment
to improve/modify structure or procedures. Conduct documentation
research and data analysis.
• Assist the State management
team in developing vendors' contract performance metrics that
will assist the State in meeting their strategic policy
objectives particularly in the areas of quality and timeliness.
Review data and outcomes to determine if the metrics achieve the
State's intended goals and objectives, and recommend any changes
that are needed.
• Prepare Advanced Planning Documents and
coordinate correspondence with Federal government agencies,
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and Food and
Nutrition Services (FNS), funding the project.
• Assist the
State in regular and ad-hoc quality management activities.
Provide assistance and support to the State management for FNS
sponsored studies, such as the Performance Standards and
Reporting for SNAP Modernization Initiatives study conducted by
FNS. Activities include coordinating the study in Indiana;
compiling surveys; providing performance data and reports to the
agency conducting the study; organizing phone interviews and
meetings with the state, county and local agencies for the
study; organizing phone interviews and meetings with various
project partners, vendors that assist applicants or participants
or businesses that provide contracted services; organizing
on-site visits in the state to help collect more in-depth
information regarding modernization initiative's performance
• Monitor and report task volume data for
vendors and FSSA on an ongoing basis. This data is used to
identify dramatic changes in task volumes, to conduct trend
analysis, to identify task volume backlog issues, and to assist
DFR in resource assignment to address task volume concerns.
Review deliverables and other work products produced by the IEMP
vendors. Work with the State and the IEMP vendors throughout the
entire deliverable and work product development, review,
comment, and approval process. The OV&V Team will assist the
State in defining and evaluating the format and content of
deliverables and work products, and will assign a coordinator to
each to ensure a single point of contact for all associated OV&V
• Conduct case reviews each month to provide the State
with overall case quality data relative to data gathering and
case documentation which supports the eligibility decision. A
random sample is selected comprised of TANF, SNAP, LTC Medicaid,
and Other Medicaid including HIP categories. As requested, the
mix of cases selected may change based on the needs of the
Eligibility Determination Services System
Planning and Procurement
Indiana FSSA’s Planning and Procurement phase of
a large project to procure a System Implementation (SI) Contractor to
design, develop, implement and operate new Indiana Eligibility
Determination Services System (IEDSS) and Health Insurance Exchange.
The new system will meet FSSA’s strategic goals of integrating and
coordinating policy development and service delivery within FSSA
Divisions and sister agencies (e.g. Department of Child Services,
Indiana State Department of Health); providing improved customer
service through consistent, equitable, and user-friendly access to
FSSA services including various public assistance programs such as
SNAP, Medicaid, TANF (cash assistance), child care assistance,
employment and training services for low-income clients as well as
Medicaid eligibility throughout the State.
eSense staff is performing a feasibility study
and alternatives analysis that includes cost/benefit analyses, risk
analysis, and recommendations. This assessment will further detail the
business and technical needs, costs, and risks associated with the
Key tasks performed by eSense on the project
• Provide business and subject matter expertise on public
assistance programs administered by FSSA such as Medicaid, SNAP/Food
• Conduct and document business modeling and
requirements gathering sessions
• Document As-Is and To-Be
• Gather business and technical requirements.
Assess the current Indiana Client Eligibility System (ICES), evaluate
alternatives, and develop a recommended strategic plan for the
replacement of ICES.
• Prepare government procurement documents
such as Request for Proposal, Request for Information, Cost Benefit
Analysis, Cost Allocation Plans and documentation of Human Services
applications, Advanced Planning Documents for Federal government
agencies Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and Food and
Nutrition Service (FNS) to receive and ensure continued federal
funding of the project.
• Create and maintain IT documentation such
as instructional guides, reference manuals, job aids such as systems
and technical design templates, handbooks, reports, proposals, and
• Provide expertise in Human Service business
function(s) and the corresponding technical strategies, benefits,
risks, and costs that impact the business as part of a procurement or
• Develop, with State assistance, performance-based
• Coordinate the procurement process by
writing thorough and detailed RFP(s), documenting evaluation
procedures, and assist in negotiating contracts with successful
Medicaid Management Information System (MMIS) - Quality Assurance
Key tasks performed by eSense staff on the project
• Create, prepare and implement systems quality assurance
reviews for numerous applications.
• Contribute to development of
• Consult with users, providing advice and
• Perform more complex analysis of business
requirements and system specifications.
• Coordinate testing
activities on projects.
• Create test plans and scripts for own
• Lead/review test plans written by others.
Perform moderately complex to complex test data conditioning,
regression testing and testing validation.
• Provide specific
guidance on defects to developers.
• Give direction to less
• Log, track, and verify resolution of
software and specification defects.
• Documents all phases of the
Systems QA process.
Indiana Dept of Transportation - Quality Assurance
Key tasks performed by eSense staff on the project
• Improve Quality Assurance and testing efficiency and improve the quality of our key and enhancement applications.
• Analyze the way MIS Quality Assurance Testing is performed today and recommend procedure improvement changes to QA processes and practices.
• Identify and resolve problems or research out of the box tools to perform testing, develop creative solutions as necessary.
• Ensure delivery of INDOT applications, to help support and improve INDOT QA Testing processes.
• Ensure that MIS technology application objectives are delivered according to business owner requirement specifications.
• Review IINDOT’s current practices and research possible QA tools to make recommendations to the Management Information Systems Division.
• Create compatibility tests with vendor-provided programs.
• Evaluate proposed software or software enhancement for feasibility.
• Help setup monitoring of program performance after implementation to identify operating problems and ensure efficiency of operation.